Friday, October 17, 2008

"Fashion fades ~ Only style remains the same" ~Chanel

The swell life


Hello all! I recorded the new Chanel movie what seems like months ago & FINALLY watched it! So, now needless to say I am on a Chanel binge! What a woman!!! What a life! What a movie! Here are some pics of original Chanel couture from the decades that Gabrielle "Coco" Chanel was designing for the house of Chanel. All of the couture images are from the Met.

1934 described of being made with Metal & fabric! Stunning.
1936 How incredibly timeless. I would love to throw this number on and go somewhere spectacular! The opera maybe?
1984 I love this color & fabric! It is breathtaking. Oh this one is not from a time when Chanel was living & operating the couture house. It was too beautiful to pass up.
1938 Unbelievably beautiful!

1924 A classic Chanel



In the movie they showed her famous staircase in her infamous 31 Rue Cambon apartment. I became enamoured immediately! I could not help thinking how modern and glitzy it looked so I embarked on a whirlwind tour of her apartment (sadly, only on the web & not in person). I found out that she lived at the Ritz but kept her apartment above her boutique until the day she died. Upon her death they found only 3 complete outfits in her closet. They have left in exactly in the same condition to this day! Remarkable! I stumbled upon some incredible images & I am dreaming of the day I get to visit her lavish apartment!

Hookedonhouses.net

The famous staircase that Coco would quietly sit on to view the reactions of the journalists and critics watching her shows. They say that her employees were instructed to spray her signature perfume before she came in so she would be greeted by the scent. I'm going to tell my husband to do that before I come home everyday! I wonder if he would do it? :)

This is her dining room. Could you just imagine sitting here at one her famous parties with the likes of Picasso & Missia! A girl could dream, can't she!


Hookedonhouses.net
They say that everything in apartment is in pairs because she always longed for her other half & kept everything in couples to remind her. How sad :( To think that she had the world, fashion, friends, fortune, fame, & yet she lacked one very important element in her life. It makes me reflect...I may not be an heiress or have a great fortune but I am so fortunate & blessed to have my beautiful family! Anyway back to Coco...There is a chandelier in her living room that is just stunning the fixture has hidden 5's (for her signature fragrance) and interlocking C's for her logo. So pretty!

Coolhunting.com

Also, sharing attention in this famous living room is a beige sofa. It is said that Chanel was very particular about who she would let sit that sofa! It seems almost sacrilegious that they let people sit on it today! My goodness!

Coolhunting.com

Here is a lovely example of a set of her "pairs" a very miniature little birdcage. Oh! How ravishing would that look in my boudoir!?!

Coolhunting.com


A girl should be two things: classy and fabulous. ~Coco Chanel

Fashion is not something that exists in dresses only. ~Coco Chanel

Fashion is in the sky, in the street, fashion has to do with ideas, the way we live, what is happening. ~Coco Chanel

Bisou Mon Amis!

Pin It

3 comments:

  1. Fabulous post - I love anything CC and can't wait to see that movie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Judith, What a wonderful post! The movie, I die! Her creations, I die! Her apartment, I die! Great job on an amazing post about one unforgettable woman. Merci!!
    PS ~ I hope you are able to sneak in a vacation soon (even if it is mini!)... you deserve some time away.
    PPS ~ I am adding you to my blogroll because your blog is fab!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Judith!-)*

    Great,amzingly beautiful post!!!

    I am absilutelly obssesed with all of Chanel...
    And you blog is a fabulous one!-)))**************

    Much Love,
    ***Violetta***

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you!